Saturday, January 29, 2011

Going with the flow

So as expected, my training goes through its ups and downs where one moment, I feel pumped to draw and the next, where I just want to do nothing. I do remember before drawing the most recent SPOON, I went through a year or unproductivity. Recently, I asked Terry Moore on his fanpage:

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Terry-Moore/131940990197610

what to do when an artist gets into a slump and he has been releasing chapters every 6 weeks for the past decade, and he was kind enough to respond to me saying:

" I work through the blocks. If I have to stare at a blank page for days, I do. I don't stop trying, because the dame thing is due in 2-3 weeks. The biggest difference between pros and amateurs is that amateurs work when they want to.

Good news is many creative breakthroughs come when you persist past the easy parts. Also, if stuck, it maybe for an intuitive reason- your "muse" stops because you've taken a wrong turn. If you're suddenly bored or stuck, your reader would be too. What would happen next to get you interested again-so interested that you have to write it because you're dying to read it? Keep your interest at that level and you won't lose your motivation because the mystery of what comes next keeps you, the writer, enthralled".

and today, I came across a video documenting Takehiko Inoue, creator of SLAM DUNK and VAGABOND, both of which I have read.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-4V9AbUu1s&feature=related

Seeing his process and how he too, a pro, gets caught up in blocks and also takes hiatuses started to make me realize that perhaps, right now, at the age of 23, I am still finding out my voice and am growing. But my life as of now, is in a bit of a mess, as always simply because I put myself in these situations, lol, but that's a blog for another time.

I hope you will enjoy the links I put up.

Til next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment