Monday, July 19, 2010

Fear

This past weekend, me and my girlfriend went with my friend, Ryan to his place in Flushing. After an intense night of drinking, lol, we went to the bookstore the next day. As usual, I picked out some manga that could help me with refine my drawing techniques. I looked to see what Ryan was reading, and it was a book of secrets.

Postsecret.com

Frank Warren started this site with the intention of people sending their secrets to him written on a postcard. So far, 5 books have been compiled and I read through 2 of them instead of reading manga, lol.

Some of the secrets were very funny, stupid, shocking, but most of all, relatable.

One may not have called them secrets, but the individuals shared their fear of not succeeding, feeling emptiness, heartbreak, or being suicial. The way these topics were portrayed as a secret was very moving, simply, because it was represented in a different perspective and it got me thinking...

What if I don't succeed with Spoon?

As children, we are filled with dreams and when we talk about accomplishing them, it all seems possible. But the older we get, the farther those dreams seem to go....I am going to be 23 soon and I set my deadline between the age of 26 and 30 to make something of Spoon. I don't know when it hit me, but I began to become very afraid of myself nto succeeding. This has been a story I have been working on for years, and this is the only thing I find myself enjoying and wanting to get better, and I am starting to realize how puny I am to the rest of the world.

My name is David Anthony Yoon.

But so what? I am only known as the asian kid who draws and loves to read manga among a select few, but I still am nothing. As the years pass, I become more and more afraid even with sufficient skill, I still won't make an impact on the world with my work. Some may argue that I don't have to, but I WANT to. I'm still training right now, but after reading those 2 books, it made see even how much more afraid I am of not doing something with my life.

So here is my postsecret to everyone who has read it.

: I am so afraid that I won't make it with Spoon and I will just be some talentless dreamer who keeps talking bullshit. And that I am extremely insecure with who loves me in my circle of friends and I am afraid the wonderful things I have right now won't last forever....:

I highly recommend people to go to a bookstore and read these books by Frank Warren.

On a brighter note..Chapter 9 is in progress! lol.

=)

1 comment:

  1. Hey dave I feel for ya man, i've changed my mind about what I wanted to do for a living, during my age as a teen I started reading manga and for some reason that made me want to become a mangaka/ comic artist, I admired how one person drew and wrote the entire story with little help for inking, toning,background drawings and other areas done by assistants. From that day forward I started to take my drawings more seriously, as a child I was told that I had a knack for drawing but persisted on dreams that were way out of my reach. When I re-started drawing over again my stuff was as good as an elementary schoolers and I was ashamed I would envy my friends who drew better than I. Than I met someone who told me this "Don't draw the way other people draw, draw the most comfortable way you seem fit" I never understood this until years later I was introduced to One Piece. This is a series that showed that philosophy, here you had an artist who didn't draw what any other artist out there would call "anime style" which alot of other series get plagued of being called. Aside from the art style the story is both rich and compeling.

    Now I would go on a long rant about that series but that's not the point i'm getting to

    What i'm getting too is that you have talent, you inspire people to get better with you, don't quit, who knows you may never get licensed by a publisher but does that make you a bad artist/author? no, there are alot of artist out there that are self published and there are some who have never had there stuff published but do it for there fans.

    Have faith in yourself, is what i'm coming at, go with god and never give up.

    ReplyDelete